Campfires and Off-Roading Prohibited in Blue Mountains Due to Fire Danger
It might cooling down in the next few weeks, but looks like warnings are still in effect for campfires and off-roading especially in the Blue Mountains this weekend.
In a release from the Umatilla and Wallowa-Whitman national forests, due to continued hot temperatures, lack of moisture and extreme fire danger, National Forest officials have announced that effective Friday, August 11, 2017, the Umatilla and Wallowa-Whitman National Forests will move to Phase C of public use restrictions.
The Forest Service is concerned for public safety and the increased potential for human caused wildfires, officials remind forest visitors to use extreme caution when visiting the forest; under current conditions, even a spark can rapidly become a large wildfire.
Phase C is the third level of restrictions and includes:
· Campfires are prohibited on the Forest. Use liquid and bottle (propane) gas stoves only.
· No internal combustion engine operation (including chainsaws), except for motorized vehicles.
o Electrical generators operated under the following conditions are allowed:
· in the center of an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material, or;
· when fully contained within a pickup truck bed that is empty of all flammable material, or;
· when factory installed in a recreational vehicle and the generator exhaust discharge is located in the center of an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
· No off-road/off-trail vehicle travel or travel on roads not cleared of standing grass or other flammable material. Vehicle travel is never permitted on currently closed forest service roads where access has been impeded or blocked by earthen berms, logs, boulders, barriers, barricades or gates, or as otherwise identified in a closure order.
· Smoking is allowed only in enclosed vehicles and buildings, developed recreation sites, or in cleared areas.
As you head out for your weekend adventures, be aware of the some of the restrictions that are in effect to save yourself any issues on your travels.