Do You Call In Sick When You’re Not?
It’s that time of year cold and flu season and I’ll admit I usually get sick everytime the weather changes, sometimes though I’m just tired and need some sleep. According to a new survey by CareerBuilder reveals that 30% of people have called in sick in the past year when they are not actually ill. Other findings:
– 18% of employers have had other employees call a suspected faker
– 14% of employers have driven by the sick employee’s home
– 29% of employers have checked up on an employee to verify that the illness is legitimate, usually by requiring a doctor’s note or calling the employee later in the day.
– 17% of employers have fired employees for giving a fake excuse
– the most common reasons employees call in sick are because they just don’t feel like going to work (34%) or because they felt like they needed to relax (29%). Others take a day off so they can make a doctor’s appointment (22%), catch up on sleep (16%) or run errands (15%).