How Many Olympic Medal Winners Have Ties To Washington State?
Now that we’ve wrapped up the 2012 London Games and the U.S. won the medal war, let’s count how many athletes who stood on the podium are from, or have direct ties to, our great state of Washington.No fewer than 19 winners grew up here or attended college in Washington. Besides Hope Solo from Richland, some of the other noted medal winners are:
- Swimmer Nathan Adrian, who won the coveted men’s 100 meter freestyle, is from Bremerton
- 13 current or former members of the University of Washington rowing teams won for the U.S. or Canada.
- Solo’s soccer team mate Amy LePielbet grew up in Spokane.
- Three members of Solo’s Seattle Sounders women’s pro soccer team (W-League).
- Marti Malloy of Oak Harbor won a bronze in her judo category.
- Two cyclists picked up medals as well.
We can be proud of the number of awards brought home by athletes who call Washington State their home!