Learn the Weird and Surprising History of Easter Egg Dye! [VIDEO]
Last week we asked you about your favorite way to dye Easter Eggs. Almost all of you just said the traditional PAAS egg-dying kits from the supermarket. That inspired me to give you the weird and interesting history of America’s favorite Easter product.
- PAAS comes from the Dutch word for Easter: Pasen
- The first Easter Egg dying kit went to market in 1893!
- You can use liquid food coloring and vinegar. What you’re getting in a PAAS kit is the dye in tablets (invented by American food innovator William Townley).
- PAAS now offers 20 varieties of egg-dying kits.
- Patton Oswalt has a famous (NSFW) comedy bit about PAAS.
- The PAAS animated characters got their own movie in 1983 called “Peter and the Magic Egg.”