Photo taken by Stephen Swanson of Kennewick.
I’m sure I wasn’t the only one kept awake by the lightning storm last night. I grabbed a blanket and sat outside just to watch! Lightning can make for a spectacular show but PLEASE remember to be safe!
The following are informative tips I found regarding lightning safety while outdoors. This information was retrieved from the National Lightning Safety Institute:
- If outdoors avoid water, metal objects, open spaces, and the high ground.
- It is unsafe to take shelter underneath canopies, small picnic or rain shelters, or near trees.
- Safe shelters include buildings and fully enclosed metal vehicles (windows shut).
- If lightning is striking nearby while outdoors crouch down, put feet together, and place hands over ears to minimize hearing damage from thunder.
- If lightning is striking nearby it is ALSO recommended to stay at least 15 ft away from another person to avoid person to person lightning strikes.