This morning we talked to Anna Gill with the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. If you find unfamiliar charges on your bill, see taxes you're not familiar with or are facing a cancellation of service threat, call the commission for help!The UTC regulates the private companies that provide utility services and transportation services to Washington residents. If you're having a problem with a private utility provider, like your power, gas or phone company, you should first try to work it out with the company, gill said. But if you're having trouble communicating with them, or your issue isn't resolved, call 888-333-WUTC or visit for help.

If you deserve a refund, the UTC can help coordinate that -- which will usually be given in the form of a credit on your account, she said.