Strange But Effective Ways to Deal With Allergies
Tired of allergy season? We are! Here at 98.3 The Key we are abusing our “cough” button! Allergies can be very bothersome and some are turning to strange but effective ways of dealing with them. Here are some of the best I’ve read:
- Shampoo your eyelashes. Pollen can cling to eyelashes. Researchers at Long Island Hospital in Brooklyn found that washing your eyelashes with baby shampoo twice a day can reduce redness, itching and puffiness by as much 90%.
- Eat yogurt. Italian scientists found that two cups of plain yogurt a day can prevent flare-ups and reduce symptoms by 40% or more. The cultures or “good” bacteria in yogurt helps your body produce anti-inflammatory proteins that help calm your immune system to lesson allergies.
- Drink iced tea, black tea, or green tea. The antioxidants in Iced Tea stop your body from producing immunoglobin E, which is an allergy trigger.
- Wear all cotton. Polyester and nylon build up a static charge that pulls in dust particles while they’re floating in the air. Cotton and linen attract half as much pollen as polyester and nylon.
- Avoid certain foods. Proteins in even healthy foods such as apples, carrots, zucchini, celery, and tomatoes can worsen allergies. Don’t want to give up these foods? Try cooking them. The proteins that are responsible for stimulating an allergic reaction can be broken down with heat.
It’s an itchy, scratchy, sneezy world out there. Fight back!