Join the Holiday Lighted Boat Parade on the Columbia River in December!
The 2012 Christmas Lighted Boat Parade — a beloved holiday tradition in the Tri-Cities — is Dec. 7 & 8 this year. The event’s organizers, The Clover Island Yacht Club, are looking for more participants this year. Anyone with a boat and generator (for the lights) who can handle the 3-hour parade from Clover Island to Howard Amon Park is invited to participate!
Decorating your boat with a theme is encouraged, but not required. Boars with lights is what the yacht club is looking for.
If you’d like to participate, call Larry Kuga at 734-9599. Expressing interest early is best, but the deadline to participate is the skipper’s meeting at 7 p.m. on Dec. 5 at 104 Clover Island Parkway. The skippers meeting is a chance to meet with the local law enforcement and Coast Guard assisting the parade and keeping everyone safe.
Here are some of rules that will be discussed at the skippers meeting:
- Have a properly-registered, motor-driven vessel capable of safe travel in cold temperatures during dark hours.
- The vessel operator has a State Boater Safety Card, if applicable.
- The vessel meets all requirements for onboard safety equipment .
- The vessel has onboard a VHF marine radio.
- At least one operational CO detector on board if a generator is in use during the parade.
- The vessel operator must attend the skipper’s meeting for the safety briefing.