As Expected Unemployment Claims Skyrocket in WA State
The Washington State Employment Security Department has been bracing for this, and as expected, due to COVID-19, claims have skyrocketed.
In addition, due to the 2-week Stay At Home period, they are exclusively handling citizens' claims and reports online, or over the phone. Here's a look at the percentage of increases across the state:
- Accommodation and food services: 41,309 new claims, up 1,033 percent from the previous week
- Health care and social assistance: 18,902 new claims, up 2,103 percent from the previous week
- Other services: 9,626 new claims, up 2,871 percent from the previous week
- Retail trade: 8,700 new claims, up 1,189 percent from the previous week
- Manufacturing: 5,276 new claims, up 434 percent from the previous week
Interestingly, Spokane County had the highest percentage wise jump in the last week that data was reported, even ahead of King County.
For additional information and to see a PDF graph that shockingly shows the huge spike, click on the button below.
Enter your number to get our free mobile app