Firemen Save Kitten, Woman From Home with No Smoke Detectors
A sobering reminder why smoke detectors are needed in homes.
Monday, Kennewick Fire Crews were dispatched to a home in the 400 block of west 1st. Ave. concerning a "vulnerable" adult female who needed emergency services.
Upon arrival crews found smoke pouring from the back of the home. A couple of KPD officers arrived first, and immediately entered. They found the woman in a back bedroom, and as they were working to get her out of the smoke-filled home, Officer Sager spotted a small kitten, which was said to be engulfed in smoke.
Crews immediately brought the fire under control, and the woman was taken to an area hospital for smoke inhalation. The kitten is being cared for by animal control until the homeowner can return. No word on how much damage was done, but fire crews say there were no working smoke detectors inside.
No other persons or animals were inside when the fire began. This serves as a reminder to make sure you have detectors installed in multiple rooms, and that they are working.
The woman is expected to make a full recovery.
READ ON: See the States Where People Live the Longest