Kennewick Firefighters were called out to the Highland area, Sunday evening after a caller reported seeing large plumes of smoke.

Upon arrival, fire crews found a medium-sized shop with smoke coming out of the roof in the 300 block of East 45th Avenue.

Fire crews forced their way inside to locate the source of the fire, which was quickly extinguished. However, significant damage was already been done to the building and its contents. No one was injured in the fire.

Firefighters say the source of the fire was an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a battery tender connected to it.

As a reminder, NEVER leave battery chargers and their elements unattended. Never leave an item charging.

The Washington State Fire Marshal's Office reminds you to talk with children about fire safety.

– Any fire fatality is a tragedy, but the death of a child in a house fire is especially hard. Already this year, two children under age 5 have died in house fires in Washington State, which prompts the State Fire Marshal’s Office to remind families to take time to talk about fire safety. • Ensure your home has working smoke alarms in each bedroom, in the hallways outside the bedrooms, and on each floor of the home, including basements. • Ensure everyone in the home is familiar with the purpose of the smoke alarms and the sound they make when smoke is present. • Develop a home fire escape plan with your children. Incorporate sounding the smoke alarms (using the test button), and having all household members practice getting out of the house to a safe, designated meeting place. Identify more than one way to get out, even if that means using windows. Include steps to assisting others who may not be able to respond without help.

98.3 KEYW logo
Get our free mobile app

Here Is How To Blur Your Home On Google Street View

KEEP READING: These are the top 6 scams connected to the pandemic

More From 98.3 KEYW