‘The Wolverine’ Sequel Will Reportedly Begin Shooting in April
Aside from Hugh Jackman’s “Old Man Logan” tipoff during last year’s Comic-Con, we don’t know much about The Wolverine 2. Director James Mangold is returning to the helm of the upcoming sequel, which doesn’t yet have a formal title, though it is expected to hit theaters in 2017. According to a new report, we may be learning a lot more about Jackman’s final outing as the iconic X-Men character as filming is set to begin this spring.
Per My Entertainment World (and confirmed by at least one source that I’ve spoken with), The Wolverine 2 will begin filming this April, using locations in New Mexico and New Orleans. The film will mark Jackman’s eighth big screen outing as Wolverine, and according to the actor, it will be his last. He’ll be joined by Patrick Stewart’s Charles Xavier for the new film, and though no official plot details have been released, Jackman himself said that the sequel will take some inspiration from Mark Millar’s Old Man Logan comic, which depicts a much older and retired hero.
Over the weekend, producer Simon Kinberg said that there are no plans to replace Jackman when the actor exits the franchise, which should come as a relief to fans. Kinberg also said that although he’s considering future Wolverine stories with director Bryan Singer, unless they can figure out a way to convince Jackman to return, it’s unlikely that he’ll be recast anytime soon.
The Wolverine 2 hits theaters on March 3, 2017.