Travel Alert: Mountain Passes Getting Slammed By Snow Today
Travel alert for Washington state Mountain passes today October 8th
Here's what you need to know:
Snoqualmie & Stevens Passes each seeing some snow & slush on the roadways Tuesday morning. WSDOT says traction tires are advised and oversize vehicles are prohibited.
And here is a quick reminder from the Washington State Department of Transportation for winter driving:
Winter travel can be tough on car and driver, to prepare:
- Check your tires and make sure your chains fit before the first winter storm and check tire pressure during cold weather. Remember, tire shops and mechanics are busiest just before and during winter storms.
- Get a vehicle winter maintenance check-up. Don't wait to check your battery, belts, hoses, radiator, lights, brakes, heater/defroster and wipers.
- Keep your fuel tank full. Don't let it fall below half a tank on winter trips.
- Program your radio for traffic reports and emergency messages (for WSDOT radio: 530 and 1610 AM).
What to carry on winter trips:
- Keep a basic winter survival kit in your vehicle: flashlight, batteries, blanket, snacks, water, gloves, boots, first-aid kit.
- Load your car with winter travel gear: tire chains, ice scraper/snowbrush, jumper cables, road flares.
- See more winter preparedness tips at Take Winter By Storm website.
If you find yourself stranded, be safe, stay in your car, put on your flashers, call for help and wait until it arrives.