Umatilla National Forest Offers Free Firewood Cutting Dates
Need some free firewood? The Umatilla National Forest is offering up free firewood starting May 1st.
Many people rely on firewood as their main source of heat during the winter months and according to the Umatilla National Forest representatives, this is a temporary authorization that is intended to provide public firewood cutting opportunities.
The US Forest Service issued this statement on how you can participate in the program:
The Umatilla National Forest is offering free personal-use firewood cutting to the general public from May 1 through June 1, 2020.
The Forest is providing these authorization packets to the public in the following ways:
1. An individual can pick-up an authorization packet at any one of the five National Forest offices during regular business hours. A self-service table will be located near the front entrance at each office. Forest staff asks that woodcutters leave contact information in the onsite dropbox when picking up their packet.
2. An authorization packet may be requested electronically by sending an email to email@example.com. A Forest employee will assist individuals with completing proper documentation to receive the electronic authorization packet.
3. Forest users can also obtain the 2020 free firewood cutting authorization packet from several local partner businesses. Individuals will be asked to complete a contact information card prior to receiving their packet.
The current partner businesses include:
• Ace Hardware: 1845 N. 1st, Hermiston, OR 97838, (541) 567-6816
• Alpine Outpost: 62393, State Hwy 204, Weston, OR 97886, (541) 566-3661
• Athena Convenience Store: 313 East Main St., Athena, OR 97813, (541) 566-2396
• Dale Store: Hwy 395, Dale, OR 97880, (541) 421-3484
• D & B Supply: 850 Southgate, Pendleton, OR 97801, (541) 276-0102
• Elgin Food Town: 1480 Division, Elgin, OR 97827, (541) 437-2012
• J&D’s Food Mart: 111 SW Birch, Pilot Rock, OR 97868, (541) 443-3369
• Lone Elk Market: 800 Willow Street, Spray, OR 97874, (541) 468-2443
• Pomeroy Foods: 509 Columbia Street, Pomeroy, WA 99347, (509) 843-3391
• Rhode's Supply: Hwy 244, Ukiah, OR 97880, (541) 427-3271
• Schurman's True Value: 801 6th Street, Clarkston, WA 99403, (509) 758-6411
• Southgate Mini Market: 775 Southgate, Pendleton, OR 97801, (541) 276-9415
• Zip Zone 2: 419 S. Main St., Milton-Freewater, OR 97862, (541) 938-3185
You can get more information on the free firewood cutting on the US Forest Service site here.