Walla Walla High School cancelled classes yesterday due to a threat made by a student and now we have updated information on the situation.

A teen is in police custody and the threat is under investigation. 

In a press release released from the Walla Walla High School Administrators, we now have updated information concerning the closure of the Wa-Hi campus.

In cooperation with local law enforcement, the student who made the threatening comment has been identified and is now in custody. Local officials have informed the district that there is no longer any threat to students and staff. After-school activities will continue to take place today, including sports travel, events, and practices. In addition, school will resume tomorrow for students and staff at Wa-Hi.

"We appreciated the family who immediately reported the threat to us this morning so that we could act quickly to ensure safety for everyone involved," noted Superintendent Wade Smith. "Student and staff safety always comes first, and this morning was no exception."

Here's a quick recap of the situation which led to today's cancellation of school on the Wa-Hi campus:

Early this morning, a parent of a Wa-Hi student contacted school officials with a concern about a threatening voice message that was discovered on his student's phone this morning. Local law enforcement was immediately notified and district officials promptly notified parents and staff that school was canceled to ensure the safety of Wa-Hi students and faculty.

According to Superintendent Smith, "today's response continues to highlight the importance of our see-something, hear-something, say-something campaign, and our district's ability to respond quickly to such matters. We appreciate our collaborative efforts and prompt response from our local officials in order to keep kids safe."

We still don't specifically know what the threat was or the student involved but as soon as we get more details, we'll update this news story.


More From 98.3 KEYW